Saturday, May 23, 2009

the great songs (xxiii) - i believe in you

This selection was very difficult. In some ways, I think that Can't Get You Out Of My Head is a better song and a more compelling performance. It captures so well the obessession that masquerades as love, in every aspect. The whole feel of the song is of the densest suffocation. (Incidentally, the mashup with Blue Monday is a cracking listen, too).

But I'm opting to choose I Believe In You by Kylie (any need for a surname?). I've opted for it (I think) because it's the more positive of the two. Less compelling writing but a great peformance and the one of the best-ever deliveries of a closing line; the sweetness is almost unbearably near.

In many ways, the finest culmination of the whole S-A-W influence on popular music.

But in neither case am I recommending the videos, let it be said.

6 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Well...I listened to it, more than once. And I tried to see what it is about it...but I couldn't.
Honestly, it just sounded to me like the same old stuff. I think I'm going to need your guidance as to how I grasp it's worth...
(my apologies for such a lacklustre response)

minternational said...

The only real guidance you need is to be 17 and in love.

I guess you could say it's the same old stuff (in fact, I think you did) but that, in part, was my point - except I'm saying it's pretty much a near-perfect example of bubblegum-pop. Which is an acquired taste, it has to be said, and not necessarily mine - but I'm making a noble exception in this case.

The Masked Badger said...

Ah! So you're sort of sacrificing yourself to the cause of manufactured pop, supporting the underdog, seeing from the other side, laying yourself on the altar of sparkly hotpants etc?

minternational said...

There are times I am left speechless by your ability to get to the heart of an issue with unerring accuracy.

The Masked Badger said...

Your honesty is startling. And possibly illegal.

minternational said...

Shutup and post your next song.....