Thursday, May 14, 2009

a great album: what are you going to do with your life?

No doubt The Badger and I will get around to a list of all-time great albums in due course. And this album by Echo And The Bunnymen probably wouldn't make my list (I can't, of course, speak for the furry one) but I wanted to just say that it is, in its own right, a great album.

One of the comments in some review or other made the point that here are middle-aged musicians writing and singing appropriately to their time of life but in recognisable continuity with their earlier musical offerings. I have to agree. And it makes it all so very worthwhile.

There's no Cutter-type vocal histrionics from Ian McCulloch here but the singing remains a highlight. And whilst there's no fevered-guitar such as on The Back Of Love, the playing is engaging and hugely enjoyable.

Worth checking-out. Without doubt.

No comments: