Tuesday, March 10, 2009

thhe great songs (x) - thrasher

Agricultural mechanisation as metaphor for the challenge of time and change in personal relationships? It could only be Neil Young.

His 1979 offering, Rust Never Sleeps, marries one side of acoustic material with one side of full-out rock. It opens and closes with the same track, giving the album its thematic cohesion but the two tracks that ultimately define the album and corral its essence are Thrasher (acoustic) and Powderfinger (electric). Both are worthy of appearing in this list (and checking-out on Spotify) but the former will have to suffice.

Many have seen references in the song to Young's relationship with the other members of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and it's hard not to see their shadows in its lines:

I searched out my companions
who were lost in crystal canyons,
when the aimless blade of science
slashed the pearly gates.
It was then that I knew I'd had enough
burned my credit card for fuel;
headed-out to where the pavement turns to sand.
With a one-way ticket to the land of truth
and my suitcase in my hand
how I lost my friends
I still don't understand.
They had the best selection;
they were poisoned with protection.
There was nothing that they needed,
nothing left to find.
They were lost in rock formations
or became park bench mutations;
on the sidewalks and in the stations
they were waiting, waiting.
So I got bored and left them there;
they were just dead weight to me.
Bbetter down the road
without that load.


And yet the song is not merely personal; the metaphors work well and burrow deep. Time works ravages - for persons and societies. Not all progress is really so. And a day will come when hands will be raised, no longer in resistance and yet not in surrender; rather, they will be raised one final time to herald the end with dignity:

And when the thrasher comes
I'll be stuck in the sun,
like the dinosaurs in shrines.
But I'll know the time has come
to give what's mine.


A long, rambling song, fit for a long and rambling life. Long may you run, Neil.

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

OK this is a bit weird. The thing is, I feel I should really like this. In fact I feel I should really like Neil Young in general. It's got all the bits I would normally love...but somehow it doesn't click. I've listened to this song 10 times now, and somehow it just hasn't clicked. And I thought it would.
I can see all the really great things about it but....I dunno. I find his voice a bit...scratchy...but that's not a big thing.
I reckon I need a way into Neil Young before it takes its rightful place.
Anyway, I know it's a great song. Just sorry it hasn't impacted me like it should!

minternational said...

Hmm, that is interesting. And humbling.

As for a way-in, given that you've listened to After The Goldrush (albeit some time ago) I'm not so sure what to suggest. If anything ought to allow you to 'get' NY it's that one.

Maybe it's worth playing the whole of Rust Never Sleeps, to see the track in its context? It does show the two sides of NY - acoustic & rock, into which most of his other sides kinda fit (he has more sides than a dodecahedron).