Friday, March 20, 2009

the great songs (xii) - raise the roof

I could have populated this list with a number of songs by Everything But The Girl (possibly Apron Strings or maybe Mirrorball or Flipside) but I'm going to go for one of Tracey Thorn's solo offerings, Raise The Roof (off her 2007 album Out Of The Woods). Again, she could have featured more than once on this list - I have an intense love for Too Happy, the song that closed her short-but-sweet debut solo 1982 album A Distant Shore.

But I've chosen this one because of its instantaneous impact, the infectious beat and the (as always) gorgeous singing - it's got it all really. A song that guarantees I'll be dancing round the kitchen. Play it loud!

Put the music on
put the music on
put the music on
they all wanna dance....

And you do it with love!

I guess I ought to apologise to the kitchen.

4 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Apron Strings is one of our favourites (though it was hard to listen to for a long time).
I've never had an EBTG album, so can only remember the singles - vaguely.
This was a nice song (not meant as faint praise!); I was surprised at the 80s electro sound to it.
It's also nice to have such an 'innocent' video! Not many fo them about these days.

minternational said...

I'd say EBTG albums worth checking-out (Spotify should help) would be Eden, Idlewild & Walking Wounded. That would give you something of the breadth of their material, from jazzy to pop to house.

I loved the video and was really pleased to find it - it goes so well with the song. Innocence is a lovely thing.

The Masked Badger said...

Well...Eden and the Stars one I found a bit...vague and drifty (which is probably a reason it appeals to fans) - but Idlewild is finding more of a connection for me.

minternational said...

Yeah, I can see why that might be the case - not overstruck on the Stars one myself. Idlewild was my first full album experience of them and I loved it, it just hit a spot for me. Walking Wounded is different territory altogether but even though I'm not a house music fan it really appealed to me.