Tuesday, March 03, 2009

the great songs (ix) - pressing on

This great song is off the much-vilified Bob Dylan album, Saved. Because of his declared Christian faith, many people disliked the previous album Slow Train Coming but it seemed to fare better in the review-stakes than its successor did. But I've always had a soft spot for it and this song in particular (I ought to add that I only came to know it much later than when it first appeared in about 1980).

What I like is the intensity of the song and the way it builds & builds. I also love the observation,

Temptation's not an easy thing,
Adam given the devil rein;
cos he sinned I got no choice,
it run in my veins...
but 'm pressing on.


That's what I want to do, too.

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

What a great song!

I have wondered for a while what Dylan's Christian albums were like.

Well, this song has everything going for it and is now definitely one of my favourites from your selection.

BTW I think I read somewhere of a book or documentary covering Dylan's "Christian phase". Quite recently too.

minternational said...

Glad you like it! Get spotified and you can check all his CE albums.

Btw, this track was quoted by Iwan Rhys Jones in morning worship at ETCW - I think during a message from 2 Timothy. Now there's a memory to warm the cockles of one's heart!