Saturday, January 31, 2009

the great songs (v) - sign your name

I think I remember Terence Trent D'Arby arriving on the chart scene back in the late 80's (purely for the record: I was working in British Coal's Purchasing Branch 1 at the time, on the Heavy Electrical sub-section). Was If You Let Me Stay his first hit? It didn't register very deeply with me; he seemed to be trying too hard. But Sign Your Name is something else altogether.

This song is intense and intensely cool. A perfect combination of musical style and lyrical exploration, all wrapped in a delivery that is almost too assured but not quite. Soul!

We started out as friends
but the thought of you
just caves me in...
Sign your name across my heart...

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Sorry - this had to happen - don't go a big deal on TTD (although I kind of liked Wishing Well).

Just a bit to slick for me, verging on oil...just my opinion!

minternational said...

Well, opinions are very much welcomed, especially for the next track!

Interesting that you think of it as slick; I can see why but for me the intensity emulsifies it.

It would be the only TTD track to make my list (but that might bee because I know so few, although I doubt it).