Tuesday, January 27, 2009

the great songs (iv) - o superman

After referencing Johnny Cash's American Recordings (previous post), we're moving on to another slice of Americana in the form of Laurie Anderson's O Superman, from the Big Science album of 1981, itself a distillation from her stage presentation United States I-IV.

The track is subtitled For Massanet - the track recalling an aria from his work, Le Cid. Common consensus sees her work as dealing with isolation, alienation and fear ("Well you don't know me but I know you...here come the planes"). And yet this piece is warm and accessible; the eight and a half minutes it takes to listen to are never begrudged. Maybe there are places, still, within a broken world that people who are disconnected from each other can yet speak and listen and know?

A striking contrast to Cash and yet also, perhaps, a fitting counterpoint. They sing of the same America and the same human condition.

3 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Well...I have given it three listens so far, and it certainly is an experience...
I get the feeling I may be seeing a glimpse of a wider concept (which a quick look on wikipedia confirms! In its biggest form, an 8 hour long concept.)
I'll give it some more listens...

minternational said...

Yes, it's certainly just a snapshot and was an unusual hit (which must have passed the 11 year old you by) to say the least.

I'm touched that you've listened to it that many times already - do try to find the full version somewhere.

The Masked Badger said...

I'll have a go - I have to say there aren't lots of examples of it on the net!