Wednesday, January 21, 2009

taking a new turn

For the past 11 years nearly I have worked with a PC on (actually, under) my desk. It has been an enormous boon in so many ways - initially, for Word Processing but it's the internet that has been the star of the show, along with various other programs.

From today, however, I hope to migrate to using only an eee pc (the 904 variety). I'm trying to 'downsize' in terms of technology - only using that which is sufficient for my needs and (crucially) that which limits, by its ergonomics, my ability to become unhelpfully distracted from the task at hand (is it possible to be helpfully distracted? Maybe so....).

The next weeks will hopefully see my desk become more of a study area than a workstation. I hope to be able to read more books and follow less trails on the internet.

Going public (if having two readers counts as going public......) may well lead to egg-on-the-face syndrome somewhere down the line: 'I thought you'd gone over entirely to the eee? What's with the Mac?' Or I might just be wrong: the issue lies less with the technology than its user (actually, I know that's true - this step is being taken in the teeth of that truth).

If you have any interest in following some of the migratory shenanigans, I'll try to post about it over at tech - no savvy.

No comments: