Friday, February 06, 2009

the great songs (vi) - goin' back

This track shares its title with the opener to Neil Young's Comes A Time, even down to the aspostrophe in Goin', but this is the earlier of the two and written by the celebrated duo of Goffin & King and sung, with incomparable greatness, by Dusty Springfield.

The song wasn't written for Dusty but it could easily have been, its themes were those that dominated her life. Maybe it's why she gave a performance suffused with an elemental empathy. Fittingly, she requested it to be played at her funeral.

I think I'm goin' back
To the things
I learned so well
In my youth

I think I'm returning to
Those days
When I was young enough
To know the truth

Now there are no games
To only pass the time
No more colouring books
No Christmas bells to chime

But thinking young
And growing older
Is no sin
And I can play
The game of life to win

I can recall the time
When I wasn't ashamed
To reach out to a friend
And now I think I've got
A lot more than
A skipping rope to lend

Now there's more to do
Than watch my sailboat glide
And everyday can be
My magic carpet ride
And I can play hide and seek with my fears
And live my days instead of counting my years

Let everyone debate the true reality
I'd rather see the world the way it used to be
A little bit of freedom's
All we lack
So catch me if you can
I'm goin' back

5 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

I'm trying to get used to the sound (it's just a bit smooth and polyester sofa covers for me at the moment, but I'm working on it).
But I like the words and sentiment - fits well for me.
And if we ever get invited to speak at a Dusty Springfield convention, what a way into the gospel!
I'll give it some more listens. Don't know why but she makes me think of that Duffy woman...

minternational said...

I think the sound is very sixties (naturally.....). I find the blend of vocals & music intriguing in that regard.

Lots of people have said Duffy reminds them of Dusty - it's a great compliment (to Duffy) and one I don't think she's yet lived up to. Time will tell.

The themes of the song lend it to being quoted in many sermons, methinks!

The Masked Badger said...

Yeah cos we're cutting edge pastor dudes.

The Masked Badger said...

OK I will admit it's growing on me...

minternational said...

I knew it - you're a softie at heart, really.

Despite appearances.