Monday, March 28, 2011

Five Pioneer Missionaries

(The most helpful books - no.2)

I guess I must have read this book in about 1987/88, as a fairly young Christian. It's a collection of essays, originally written for a competition, I believe, on the lives of significant pioneer missionaries and covers David Brainerd, William C Burns, John Eliot, Henry Martyn and John G Paton.

It made a real impact on me. Here were serious men, intent on serving Jesus irrespective of cost and their focus was on people who hadn't yet heard of Jesus.

I'm sure I read it with an unhealthy dose of romanticism and unrealism, which was my fault, not the book's. But its impact on me was significant.

You can still buy it.

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

I think I remember seeing that cover...

Coo: I wonder if any or even one of our books will be the same?!

minternational said...

Mine has the earlier cover, as it happens.

Your reading tastes are so eclectic I'm sure we'll keep miles apart.....