Wednesday, March 24, 2010

the great albums (4) - the rising


This list could (and might yet) have more than one album by Bruce Springsteen on it. In many ways, The Rising might be a fairly surprising choice from his canon but, in other ways, it is definitive.

The album is a reflection on the events of 9/11 but not in an overtly political sense. Rather, this is 9/11 from the perspective of loved ones, lost ones, left ones. And it works for Bruce in ways it never could for most other artists.

There are spiritual depths on this album as Springsteen looks to find some possibility of healing and redemption in the face of desperate loss. Maybe the high point is the fabulous gospel-chorus on My City Of Ruins.

It's an album that has moved me to tears more than once. Not an easy listen, in some ways, but the E Street band are on top form and, despite the subject matter, it ends up being deeply satisfying.

(nb: the review on spotify is mostly spot-on)

3 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Right initial response: well, as someone who's never really had much to do with BS, my first listen was really good...I shall keep you informed of progress!

minternational said...

It gets better with age...and with the lyrics in front of you - they're online somewhere.

The Masked Badger said...

right...well I'm not really Springsteen fellow, just sort of notice him as someone other people get very serious about.

But this one was easy to get into from square one. The only problem being that it is quite a long album, longer than the times I'm sitting with Spotify on. So I'm getting to know the first half better than the second.

Anyway, I have enjoyed it so far, and will be coming back to it - probably downstairs so I can hear it through better speakers.

Thanks!