Thursday, March 18, 2010

evernote: sheer class

I may have mentioned Evernote before but I want to highlight a feature I've never used but which works amazingly well.

I took a photo on my phone (a Nokia N79 for those who'd like to know the details) of my whiteboard with notes on it (essentially, the same photo that's on this blog but with a few extra scribbles). I emailed the photo from the phone into my Evernote account. It duly showed up on my PC.

Now, here's the really clever thing: when you do a search in Evernote, it scans photos, too, and if it finds the word in the image, it includes it in the results. To test it out, I searched for the word 'Spirit', since it was written fairly plainly in the whiteboard photo (albeit written as 'Spirit/Truth'). Evernote found it.

I was impressed but assumed Evernote would be hampered by my untidy writing (using a whiteboard is new to me, you understand). So I did a search on the word 'Prescience' (in the photo, it looks more like the word 'Prescence', apart from the dot which hints at an 'i' in the word). Again, Evernote found it.

Now THAT'S impressive.

No comments: