Sunday, July 19, 2009

the great books (ii) - the great gatsby

This was a book I bought on a recommendation of sorts and it sat (with many others) by my bedside for a few months, unread. I tried to start it but never got anywhere with it - the first couple of pages somehow just didn't draw me in.

I can't remember how it happened but at some stage I was drawn, slowly at first and then without any reserve. There are many layers to why I enjoyed the book so much: an enthralling story of deep human tragedy; the Jazz-age context; the New York setting. It has a lot going for it.

But it's the quality of the writing that really did it for me. Fitzgerald's writing by turn dazzles, intrigues and astonishes. He had a rare gift for conjoining words and images that seem at first sight thoroughly incompatible but which, on further reading, disclose a deep awareness of the possibilities of language.

Surely one of the greatest shorter novels of all time.

4 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

A book which I only know by its fame. And I think the "Great" part made me think of some huge, Henry James type thing.

Looks like I will have to put it on the list!

Is this the bloke who did that book about the diamond at the Ritz?

minternational said...

Err...might be; sounds like a distinct possibility. I think his most famous longer novel is Tender is the Night.

The Masked Badger said...

So Gatsby isn't some introverted naval-gazing Henry James thing then? Stuff actually happens?

minternational said...

Well, I've never read any Henry James so I can't comment in terms of informed comparison. But I think it's fair to say that stuff happens - thing is, it's one of the oddest books I've read in some ways, whilst being at tghe same time hugely engrossing. It delights and it disturbs, but in unequal measures. I found it to be quite a study of its days and also of ongoing human frailty.