Tuesday, July 14, 2009

the great books (i): the thirty nine steps

The Badger and I have decided to blog 15 of our all-time favourite works of literature and I'm kicking the series off (you can find him at UnChristian Ministry).

My first choice is not a work of high literature but rather of high drama told with great skill. An old-fashioned adventure novel of the highest order that draws you in from the first page and, once there, the fate of Richard Hannay becomes an almost obsessively important part of your life, until the last page is turned and the final denouement complete.

I've read the book a couple of more times over the years (and some time ago seen the similarly-excellent film). I don't actually own a copy of the book, except as an ebook (which is the form in which I last read it a couple of years back). I do, however, currently have a bid on a Folio Society edition on eBay....

I've also read some other Buchan novels, notably Greenmantle, and whilst enjoying them too, I think this, for me, is his best work.

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Great Scott! Well, what a start. I too am a Buchan fan. And this was the start of the thriller - where fundamentally the whole story is running away from a threat until it is possible to turn and confront it. It was also innovative in its use of modern technology: no one had been chased by an aeroplane in fiction before (and I think you can clearly see the influence almost 50 years later in the famous scene in North by NorthWest.

Well I heartily approve. It is sad though, that no one has ever made an accurate version of it. I grew up with the late 70's Robert Powell version, which was at least loads better than the utter botch the BBC made of it last Christmas!

Well, heartily approved of. It's nice t be nice right at the start!

minternational said...

The film I had In mind was the 1959 one starring Kenneth More - try checking it out.

I wasn't aware of the technological aspect - fascinating.