Wednesday, April 08, 2009

the great songs (xvi) - the scientist

I know Coldplay come in for a lot of (sometimes deserved) criticism - taking themselves too seriously, overblown and underwhelming. But when they get it right, musically and lyrically, they get it well right.

The Scientist doesn't need much explanation, nor commendation; it's qualities shine through from first hearing onwards. It's simple, yet not simplistic. It is heartfelt, yet without angst. And the singing is probably Chris Martin's best.

Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart


So: enjoy.

1 comment:

The Masked Badger said...

Well, I have tended to think of Coldplay's rise to global domination as based largely on some songs having provided useful endings to TV shows (mostly the poignant-staring-out-the-window-in-the-rain type).
So to actually listen to another track apart from Trouble or Clocks is a new experience!
I'm not sold on them yet, but this has given me pause for thought - and I can listen for free now, so I will be giving them a go.
Thanks!