Thursday, April 30, 2009

the great songs (xix) - light my fire

Light My Fire by The Doors just bursts open from the very first note and delivers in spades. For once, I'm not going to comment on the words, they mean very little to me in this case (and are far more direct than most Doors lyrics, not being written by Morrison).

What I will mention is the music - surely one of the greatest instrumental sections in all popular music (far too long to be called an interlude, lasting from just over a minute in, right through to the latter part of the 6th minute of the song). I love the organ and its almost hypnotic effect and the cool sweep of the guitar. Yes, Morrison's singing helps it along but, in truth, it isn't his best and isn't the decisive factor in the song's greatness. It's the playing that carries all before it.

To be played loud.

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

I have to say I have never listened to a Doors album.
Will this song lead me to? Hmmm...
The thing is, I like the period instrumental work, love the organ. But, and this is just me I know, he sounds on this track like, well, someone had to do the vocals and at least he isn't out of tune. Do you know what I mean?
So...I know it's an iconic track, even a soundtrack to a vivid passage of history, but it hasn't grabbed me.
Sorry - a load of your choices have, including some neither of us had expected, but not this one so far. Having said that, I'm writing after one listen, because I won't be at the computer much for the next few days!

minternational said...

Yes, I know what you mean - he does sound more engaged on other songs (amybe cos this wasn't one of his?). At the same time, I wonder if it's deliberate, a subversively laconic reading of the song?

Or maybe he was just pooped?