Friday, July 08, 2011

The Climax of the Covenant

(The Best Books - no.9)

You didn't know that Tom (N.T.) Wright was at the centre of some raging theological storms? Where ya been, dude? Whether you approve or not of all his theology (you don't do that with hardly anyone, do you?), you'll have to concede that Tom writes in a compelling and provocative manner. But I've chosen one of his books that draws the least flak, presumably because it's his most technical and, therefore, least read. It's also the least polemical of his non-popular writings.

A series of papers on a variety of topics that have been collated under the twin themes of 'Christ and the Law in Pauline Theology', this was the first of his works that I read and found it compelling stuff, even where you feel you can't go all the way in agreeing with him. The essay on Philippians 2:5-11 left me stunned and worshipping - no mean feat for technical exegesis.

Of course, you can't ignore the rest of his works, nor should you. But don't let this one pass you by.

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Cosy bedtime reading?

minternational said...

Well, since I have read it in bed I guess I have to say....yes!