Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Sermon On The Mount

(The Best Books - no.8)

The published sermons on Dr D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones are so plentiful, it seems fairly random to select this from amongst the many volumes. But I'm choosing to highlight it partly for nostalgic reasons: it was bought for me for my 21st birthday by a local church housegroup I was attending at the time. I had read very little Christian material, had only been a Christian for just over a year, which might make a tome like this seem unwieldy and unwise as a gift. But, ah, those dear people, they knew that if I began to read it, I'd be drawn in. And I was.

Is it the best book on Jesus' most famous sermon? Probably not. Is it the best model for today's preachers to seek to emulate? Not in detail, no. But it's just so seriously God-centred; earthed and exalted at the same time, it won't sell you short in any way.

No comments: