Thursday, May 06, 2010

the great albums (vii) - dare

The first Human League album after half the band left to work together as Heaven 17, Dare was a triumph, of style, of hype, of synths, of pop.


The sound is about as clean as it could be (and such a contrast to their long-delayed follow-up, Hysteria) and could be argued to be the pinnacle of the electronic pop of the day. You can sing along to it, you can dance to it and it sounded great on the radio.


What's it about? The usual stuff - life, love, loss. It isn't profound; it is mildly pretentious. And it's hugely enjoyable, as a child of its times.


For an added bonus, I've linked to the coupling of the original Dare album and the subsequent release of various 12" remixes, Love & Dancing.

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Well...you know this album has a funny effect on me: again it just predates me and listening to it feels a little bit like listening to my older brother's record collection (if I had an older brother) - you know, like what you would have heard emerging from his bedroom. So it feels kind of vicariously nostalgic. I liked it, probably not one I would listen to endlessly, but I found as the week wore on I was getting into the non-singles (which sounded familiar to me, especially the really big hit).
So thanks for that one. My only question is: do you think Phil Oakley can really sing?

minternational said...

I think Phil can sing as good as me.

I shared a room with my brother and we never had any audio equipment in it, other than a radio, until I bought myself a stereo in my late teens. But he was already in the army by that time. When he was home on leave he used it to play me Billy Joel albums and other delights, I'm pleased to say.