Wednesday, April 21, 2010

the great albums (vi) - on the beach

One of the hardest things about this list has been which Neil Young album to put on it - maybe I ought to just give in and fill it with his work? This could easily be After The Goldrush, Harvest, Comes A Time, Rust Never Sleeps, Freedom, Sleeps With Angels and so on. Even something like Landing On Water is impressive, despite coming during one of his leaner decades.


Anyway, I've opted for On The Beach. Released after the nightmare recording of Tonight's The Night (which still awaited release) and the events that birthed it, this album still sounds desperately sad and cynical, and yet it does have notes of optimism, buried deep under its weight of sorrow and anger. Well, maybe optimism is too much to claim - perhaps the defiance that preceeds optimism is about as far as the album can go. But at least he was back to caring enough to defy.


The world is turning
I hope it don't turn away


Some lovely guitar work, too. What's not to like about it?

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Well...I don't know if you'll take this as positive or negative...but I think what listening to this album has done is something unique: it's got me to listen to this album. By which I mean, I've never really got the hang of Neil Young, even though I know he's supposed to be great and brill and fab, it's just all passed me by and I give up. I usually think "Why does he sing with that nasal whine? Why doesn't he say something happy?" and then listen to something else.

But this time I didn't! And though I have not been overwhelmed as yet, I have started to "get it" a bit. In fact I have put "See the Sky..." on a playlist.

I'm sorry it's not more enthusiastic than that - but that's a good deal more enthusiastic than I was a week ago!

minternational said...

Well, I'm taken aback by your 'enthusiasm' - honest! I thought this would be too morose for your tastes. All I'd say is keep listening to the track 'On the beach' and it might sink in further.

'See the sky...' is a nice track.