Monday, February 22, 2010

the great albums (2) - kind of blue


Years ago I'd have been stunned to think I would include a jazz album in a list like this - it just wasn't on my horizon at all. But my defences were slowly taken down by exposure to Humphrey Lyttleton's Best of Jazz on Radio 2 and then this album made me realise I'd turned the corner; decisively so.

I think the motivation for picking-up a copy of Kind of Blue, Miles Davis' masterpiece, was down to it being enthusiastically recommended by Chris Rea. I'm not sure I understand all that's going on in music like this but I really love this album. I wish I could explain it more coherently but I can't.

It just blows so cool.

1 comment:

The Masked Badger said...

Here's my initial thoughts after too few listens:

I don't really like modern era jazz that much, but this was relaxing and even though I don't understand it or "get it" yet, I enjoyed it.

I think it will need lots of listens to fully sink in. And I'm not used to an album where actually no one new exactly what they were going to play til the tape started rolling.
But I'm going to keep at it. thanks!