Tuesday, June 09, 2009

the great songs (xxv) - the cutter

What sadness attends this final post in the series! But The Cutter by Echo & The Bunnymen almost makes me want to start a sub-genre: songs I'd love to sing on a karaoke night. (Just for the record, I've never been to one....)

There are lots of reasons I'm including this here. The sheer energy of the playing; grand, but not grandiose. The singing that just about stays this side of histrionic, pummeling the emotions out of their shell. And the intriguing lyrics: will I still be soiled when the dirt is off? Hmm.

They had a great run of singles in the mid 80s - I first sat up and took notice with the charting of The Back Of Love and fell head over heels in love with The Killing Moon (which would be a worthy substitute for The Cutter - check out the All Night version here; more memories of confined evenings in a Doncaster bedsit in '84, with Kid Jensen on the evening Radio 1 slot). And Never Stop was an unusually-affecting song, falling between the Porcupine and Ocean Rain albums.

Sure, they were overblown and maybe took themselves too seriously but they were young and so were we. Who isn't guilty?

One final reason for choosing this one: the memory of the song playing on the jukebox in the Cov Poly Student Union bar one night and a couple looking into each other's eyes and singing, 'Not just another drop in the ocean'.

I've often wondered whether they went the distance.

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Another band that I just missed; and probably not my sound at the time (More Huey Lewis & The News!)

But how very 80s youth club sounding. I only know Bring on the Dancing Horses (that is them, yes?)

I'll give it some more listens! It's a bit Quantum Leap to think that this track sounds to you, like songs I was listening to in 1988 - that soundtrack for a moment of life.

minternational said...

Yes, the Dancing Horses were their troupe. Quantum leaps have been the order of the day for some of our listings...maybe that just shows the themes of youth etc. are the perennial stomping-ground of rock & pop.