Friday, June 05, 2009

the great songs (xxiv) - rhinestone cowboy

Well, many weeks back I was convinced I'd have to include Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman in this list but then I heard Rhinestone Cowboy on the radio and knew straightaway the latter had supplanted the former. Not because it's a better song, per se - I think Lineman has one of the all-time great lyrical couplets ('And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time'). It's a truly worthy, special love song, of the old fashioned variety. They justifiably call it sophisticatiion. So why did RC win the day?

I think it's down to the overall singalong quality of the song - it's got great momentum from the off; once heard, never forgotten. But, perhaps moreso, it's down to the memories it evokes, memories that are touched with the deep sadness of loss right now: life at 41 Y Ddol in Pwllheli; listening to Mam's radio in the kitchen, watching Top Of The Pops, lying on the floor doing homework. Mid 70s homelife.

And I think, too, that the lyrics were deep enough to spark some thoughts in my 12 year old brain. Thoughts about life being less than straightforward. About compromise. About the hope of redemption.

(Really worth checking-out is his 2008 album, Meet Glen Campbell, with some great cover versions and other stuff. Go, Glen; long may you run)

3 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Well, the memories just miss me; I can't remember this from childhood at all, despite my mum's radio always being on (although I'm still scarred by Terry Wogan singing the Flora Dance).

Wichita Linesman is on my 'other tracks that should have been in the top 25' list to be published.

Actually I just realised I have never listened to this all the way through, and didn't know til today it wasn't some kitschy country thing about riding the plains. It's about being a Country & Western star, is it?

minternational said...

I can only assume that being a C&W star or somesuch is the background to it - "where hussle's the name of the game & nice guys get washed away like the snow and the rain" seems to suggest it.

Not sure if it's the same writer as Wichita Lineman (Jimmy Webb).

The Masked Badger said...

Well, I expected to listen once and laugh - but will instead listen again...