Thursday, October 14, 2010

the great albums (xiv) - innervisions

Stevie Wonder was a regular part of my Radio 1-filled days back in the 70s. I liked some of his singles a great deal; others were just ok. Always a good tune. But he never really figured for me in terms of albums (unsurprisingly, I wasn't buying albums when he was making his most celebrated ones).

So I'm late to the party - but I'm really glad I made it. Especially for the sake of Innervisions. It's got great tunes, anger that is gritty and righteous anger and a shot of (somewhat unfocussed) hope. The kind of album you don't play for ages and, when you give it a spin, wonder why on earth you haven't.

3 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

OK first listen impressions: this record is a big challenge for me because though I have lots of 70s music this is the bit of the 70s I never got interested in. Piano Man, Out of the Blue, Camel, James Taylor - but not the Stevie Wonder end of things. So on first listen: lots to get my head round, cos I always felt this kind of sound was kind of...cheesy. I know you're shocked - but progress reports will follow!

minternational said...

No, I'm not shocked - I htink the opening bars do sound cheesy, but maybe they're meant to. There's real grit in among the cheese, though. It's a good historical listen, too - early 70s United States, in the wake of the civil rights movement achievements of the 60s.

The Masked Badger said...

Well, I won't lie...it's a bit of a cultural chasm for me. I'm not sure what it is - somehow it makes me think of childhood and Huggy Bear, and that kind of 70s look that would be a bit chav nowadays.

However, I might be slowly getting the hang of it and some bits - like the one about city life - are starting to come together for me a bit.

So...hmmm....dunno, will need to give it some more thought.