Saturday, September 25, 2010

the great albums (xiii) - sweet dreams (are made of this)

It was their breakthrough album, after the interesting but transitionary In The Garden. And it may be surpassed in some minds by the next-up Touch; for me, their final album (to date) Peace is the equal of this choice, but (getting to the point) Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) is Eurythmics at their most stunning - far warmer than Touch, witty without being clever -  confident and positioned, soulful and unafraid.

It has weaker moments, of course, but the whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts. Go listen!

4 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Right, well, this isn't what i expected to be writing: I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It's one of the few albums on the list, the creators of which I'm reasonably familiar with. But somehow this one didn't click for me; maybe it's a cased of being a bit prior to my arrival on the music scene. but thanks, cos otherwise I don't think I would have listened to anything earlier than i already had.

minternational said...

Far be it from me to defend such a low view of this album...but I'm guessing it holds a higher place in my heart in part due to its provenance in my life.

I'm also unsure as to how well it has dated - some albums remain what they always were, others suffer by comparison.

The Masked Badger said...

arr - my only judgment is that it didn't click with me as much as I expected.

minternational said...

Indeed.