Tuesday, August 25, 2009

the great books (vi) - home

To begin, a confession: I haven't finished reading this book yet. To continue, a defence: it belongs on this list, without a shadow of a doubt. It won a prize and deserves to have done so.

Some people say Marilynne Robinson's writing is luminous. Home certainly shines. They say it's profound; they're not wrong. This is writing that is simple and clean, not clever and soiled. It makes no pretences and offers no misplaced thrills. It invades the soul with the stealth of a virus but with none of its venom.

A storyline? Well, only being one third of the way through the book I can't say for sure (and wouldn't want to diminish anyone's experience in reading it). But it's ordinary people, set in the town of Gilead (the terrain for an earlier novel, some of whose characters reappear in this). It's the stuff of life and faith, of failure and love.

One reviewer (quoted on the cover) declares all other writing to 'seem jejune for ages afterwards'. I can imagine not wanting to read anything serious for weeks after the last page is turned.

Part of me never wants this book to end. And part of me scarcely wants to go on, for fear of collapse.

6 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Blimey! That's an endorsement and some!

As you know, I read Gilead a while back and am now looking forward to Home at some point. I found Gilead an odd experience (and my MIL says Housekeeping is even odder): in a sense there was no plot, it was like a gentle tour of someone's life. So maybe Home is the same...?

Anyway, thanks for the review - I'm not sure Gilead will be on my list (but I'm more of a philistine anyway) but I shall look forward to Home.

minternational said...

Yes, I guess it is a rather definitive statement of greatness... I'm sure it'll stand, though.

I think there may well be more plot to Home than Gilead (having read some of Gilead). Fancy your MIL reading the same books as you! I'm sure that tells us all something, although I'm quite sure what. But I'll have fun guessing...

The Masked Badger said...

when I first visited their home she was studying Alevel lit, and we used to have some interesting chats. It's been nice to talk about the same books again after all this time!

minternational said...

You knew her when she was doing her 'A' levels? That's rather spooky, if you don't mind me saying.

The Masked Badger said...

She was mature student, you muppet.

minternational said...

I'm meant to believe that? You always descend to insults (although some people have compared me to Gonzo - unfairly I must say) when the Badger is unmasked.