Tuesday, December 23, 2008

the very best christmas song - ever

Well, here we are - no voting shenanigans like Strictly Come Dancing; this is purely one person's choice. And a choice one at that it is too. In my opinion, the best Christmas record ever is:

I wish it could be Christmas every day by Wizard.

First released back in '73, it has become a perennial favourite and I think I know why. It's the combination of a sentiment that every child immediately agrees with, a great tune and an over-the-top delivery by Mr Wood. Oh, and not forgetting the presence of a children's choir ("OK you lot - take it!").

Wizard had had quite a year - they had a fair enough start in late '72 with Ball Park Incident but what followed in '73 was pure pop genius: See My baby Jive and then Angel Fingers. We lapped them up and bopped to them merrily at the juniors party (I was in what they now call Year 6 when Roy Wood graced the charts with his brand of pop perfection.

Our teacher that year in (what became) Ysgol Cymerau was Mr Elfed Griffiths who later became Headmaster at the school. His wife - before their marriage - had been my teacher in infant school (in Year 2). I remember very clearly the time when my brother Robert was home on leave (he was posted to Hong Kong with the British Army) and was walking back from town along Penrhydlyniog with me and my sister Mary. We saw my teacher and I said hello. Robert asked who she was after we'd passed her and then feigned turning round to follow-her, mesmerised by her beauty. She was indeed a lovely lady.

Hearing the song in Tesco's a week or two ago brought all those memories flooding back, memories of happy days and of simple joy.

2 comments:

The Masked Badger said...

Well, I was only 3 (hehehhehe). But Roy Wood used t live near us.

minternational said...

You missed out on a lot, being born so late in the day. You oughta be sad.