Monday, May 28, 2007

Song for Hefina

Recently came across this piece, written after an 18-week miscarriage in 1995. The little girl was due to be born in June 1996, hence the name we chose for her ('June' in Welsh is Mehefin). Posting it here fwiw.



Song for Hefina


Out of time,
yet your time hadn't come;
Out of the darkness,
into eternal light.

Joy we never tasted
and shared at your dawn,
Is multiplied to you
in heaven's glory song.

And lullabies soft whispered
never soothed a troubled cry;
Yet music wholly other
holds and charms you now.

Our arms never held
and cradled you in love;
His are everlasting,
how can we long for return?

Tested and examined,
consigned to history.
Our hearts will never forget you
nor will our tears dry
until the day faith turns to sight
and God, who is rich in mercy,
unfurls the banner
of love's final triumph.

1 comment:

Guy Davies said...

Hi Richard,

Alan Davey told me about your blog. I'm trying to compile a list of Welsh theology bloggers.

I understand that you hail from Newport. I was brought up in Bassaleg & am now ministering in Westbury, Wilts.

I see that you are currently reading The Drama of Doctrine. That was one of my favourite reads in 2006. Are you enjoying it?

I've added this site to my list of Welsh Bible bloggers. (It's the 2nd post down on my blog).

Every blessing,

Guy Davies