Thursday, November 23, 2006

How John Mark Became Helpful

He was a deserter; a failure. And the cause of a sharp disagreement between two Christian ministers, one of them his uncle. So sharp in fact that they no longer worked together.

Later on, the one who had objected to John Mark's continued presence on the team speaks of him in very warm terms; he has proved himself to be a valuable colleague in gospel work.

So how did the change come about? How was this fallible young man recovered? Who mentored him into being a faithful gospel servant?

Barnabas took Mark and sailed for Cyprus. (Acts 15:39)

The one who didn't give up on him, presumably.


2 comments:

Alan said...

This is a hard passage. I've heard those who side with Paul. I've heard those who use the passage to defend scraps amongst ministry teams.

I always read it with pain and fear - and yet knowing that God brought good out of this sharp disagreement, and restoration to Paul, Barnabas and to John Mark.

I suppose it does tell me that one day a sharp disgreement may arise that stops me working with a colleague, and that it has happened before, and will happen again to better people than I, and that life goes on and so does the cause of the gospel.

minternational said...

I have to say that I used to think the text was more favourable of Paul than Barnabas - he (and Silas) are commended by the church but there is silence over Barnabas and Mark. Whilst that might indeed be so (although I think that evidence is slim), the point made in the post struck me quite forcibly recently.

It's also extremely ironic that this sharp disagreement comes after the unprecedented conference in Jerusalem where another sharp disagreement was sorted out.